The objective of this research is to develop a recommended standard for selecting pipe materials based on sound, scientific research to meet transportation needs for providing durable, safe and economical products.
The scope of the proposed project includes the following tasks:
1. Perform a literature research of relevant scientific studies on pipes and pipe material performance.
2. Critically review the results of completed national and state –funded and other pertinent research.
3. Review standards and practices for selecting pipe materials in the United States, Europe, and other pertinent sources.
4. Develop recommendations for practice in the selection of pipe materials based on current knowledge as determined in steps 1, 2, and 3 above.
5. Make recommendations for additional research needed to develop national guidance for selecting pipe material types and for evaluating new pipe products for long-term performance.
6. Develop approaches and recommendations for managing/monitoring culvert inventories.